Curatorial for Imperial Measures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What should we use?

4 posters

Go down

What should we use? Empty What should we use?

Post  Admin Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:03 pm

what should we use so people can pick what size their project is? I like balloons but I also don't really feel like blowing up that many. Ideas?

Admin
Admin

https://curatorial.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

What should we use? Empty Re: What should we use?

Post  Geoff Watson Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:44 pm

Numbes? haha.

I hate to shut down the whole metaphor thing, but I mean numbers would obviously work.

Umm, other then that, we'd want to use something easily makeable / findable. We don't want to spend our budget on little things right. So there are a total of like 50 people in the New Media program right? Meaning we'de need at MAX. 500 of these items if we're going to be going on a scale of 1 - 10. So I'd maybe suggest something like popsicle sticks?

hmm, i'll keep thinking.

Geoff Watson

http://www.geoffwatsondesign.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:47 pm

I'm good with coloured popsicle sticks. It means we don't have to waste our time blowing things up. I think we should keep it to a size scale with 5 options.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  javrichs Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:46 pm

straws also come in big bulk too and they can be cut in half if need be.

Popsicle sticks sound fine though to me too

javrichs

Back to top Go down

Post  msilver Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:43 pm

Popsicle sticks sound good, or I was thinking lollipops.
And if you guys aren't up for metaphors, that's cool - I have some if you want them, measuring terms I mean.
I personally work better with metaphors, makes me feel more creative, but it's up to all of us!
what do you think?

msilver

Back to top Go down

Post  msilver Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:51 pm

peas, gems, cartwheels, elephants, football fields
OR
cat’s eye, nations, walnut, coins, decimal, hands, etc.

Those are all some examples of measurements. I can find more too.
A weird one that people won’t get is Vesta and Ceres, they’re giant comets in the asteroid belt.

Oh – and going on the Galileo theme –
the word
facets – flat faces on geometric shapes - perhaps a window into something more complex

is a definition attached to the imperial measures wiki searching that I did.

msilver

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:33 pm

There's something I'm a little confused about. Are people going to take the number of popsicle sticks they think represents the size? For example my piece is the size of 10 peas so I take 10 green popsicle sticks. Is this right or am I nuts?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  javrichs Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:37 pm

i thought it would be more like a green Popsicle stick represents a pea and that would represent the size (approx) of what their project is. if we start thinking how many peas does it take to make the size of my project then it gets a little more complicated. it is supposed to be figurative not exact I feel.

javrichs

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:53 pm

I agree. So maybe we shouldn't go something something as small as a pea. I like a cartwheel and elephant. What else should we use?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

What should we use? Empty UPDATE FOR ALL

Post  msilver Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:16 pm

Our plans for Thursday have changed slightly.

We will first do Steve's Colour Wheel with the groups, Steve will provide most of that stuff....but we'll facilitate.

Second, we will have two taped axis lines on the floor splitting the room into quadrants.
One axis will be Hippie or Business, the second access will be Cart-Wheel (like the motion) or Lunar Orbit.
We will allow the abstractness of the terms (which will only be represented by drawn sketches) to get the mind's of the participants rolling and allow
them almost completely free form decision making with very little guidance.
We will then discuss decisions made throughout this process and these choices.

(after each of these exercises we will have a map sketched onto acetate to project onto a wall to see the differences in positioning -to get their minds flowing
about the possibilities of collaboration)

Third, we will add one extra line of tape to the floor quickly, and with the six quadrants we will label all 6 senses - taste, smell, sight, sound, touch, esp.
(this exercise is inspired by something Steve wanted to do). We will ask everyone to identify where they should sit in the designated senses for the most
prominent components of their projects. We will then also include a direction for them to establish the bandwidth needed for their projects. The higher the bandwidth, the closer to the center of the circle they will need to be. This exercise will allow them to understand the repetitiveness of proposed projects and unlikelihood of attaining this much network power. It will spark collaborations and hopefully someone will get their project to actually DO something (buttons,
or levers, or something).

We will then add this sketched map to the acetate projection as well and discuss the possibilities.

Hopefully we will have more than one camera present and I hope that this works for everyone. In discussions with Steve and Dave today, they seemed both
satisfied with these exercises and were content with the information that we would gather.
If you guys have any questions - although most of us were there today, throw them out there.
Ella's bringing the tape.
I'm bringing the drawings (they're already sketched, but think colourful sketches, nothing fancy).
Jenna's bringing the labels (only LOW and HIGH are needed to demonstrate bandwidth).
and Priscilla will bring Timbits - yay!

I hope that explained things well enough, I know that the Cart-Wheel vs Lunar Orbit is controversial, but I think with all of the different interpretations
the 7 of us had today in Steve's class between those two points on an axis, it proves to be a very excellent and yet challenging conceptual space to experiment with.

Hope that is detailed and informative enough.
Let me know if I missed anything or got anything mixed up!
Cheers guys!

msilver

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum