Curatorial for Imperial Measures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Logo Submissions - ROUND 2

+3
Admin
kpirrie
Geoff Watson
7 posters

Go down

Logo Submissions - ROUND 2 Empty Logo Submissions - ROUND 2

Post  Geoff Watson Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:36 pm

Category 1: Modern

A.)
Logo Submissions - ROUND 2 Logo_2_new%20copy

B.)
Logo Submissions - ROUND 2 Logo_3_new%20copy

C.)
Logo Submissions - ROUND 2 Logo_4_new%20copy

D.)
Logo Submissions - ROUND 2 Logo_4_new_citymod%20copy

E.)
Logo Submissions - ROUND 2 Logo_5_new%20copy

Category 2: Abstract / Data Visualization

A.)
Logo Submissions - ROUND 2 Abstract_1%20copy

B.)
Logo Submissions - ROUND 2 Abstract_2%20copy

C.)
Logo Submissions - ROUND 2 Abstract_3%20copy

Last edited by on Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:52 pm; edited 2 times in total

Geoff Watson

http://www.geoffwatsondesign.com

Back to top Go down

Logo Submissions - ROUND 2 Empty nice work

Post  kpirrie Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:27 pm

Thanks Geoff,

Had a long message but my browser unexpectedly quit. Let's see what I can recreate...

In the future, can you give us a individual image and a title for each design.
e.g. Modern A, B, C / Crown A, B... The title is for feedback and the image file would allow us to put it in different frames or contexts. I often like to print out so I can stick designs on the wall and look at them at different scales.

Most favorite is the Data Visualization. A couple of suggestions:
-Can you integrate the ruler increments along the blurred band?
- make the third node ball (uppermost) a little more visible
- prefer the type treatment in the middle but maybe the problem with the thinner font is the spacing.
Will a colour copy do the sense of space justice? Can you get one printed out so we can see?

Also like the first Modern but not the one with the skyline—it makes the physical aspect of location too pronounced. The top one looks kind of video game-like. I expect that people will like this.

The robot-building (without the circle) is cool but how to have either of these represent both partners in the exhibition? I could see this as an animation in which the legless IMA building springs legs and turns into OCAD but I have no idea how this could work as a logo...

The crown building is also interesting but doesn't seem very 'new media' whereas as the above three do.

thanks for your efforts Geoff!
other opinions?
Kathleen

kpirrie

Back to top Go down

Logo Submissions - ROUND 2 Empty Re: Logo Submissions - ROUND 2

Post  Admin Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:52 pm

I like the 1st one from the second set. I agree with Kathleen that I'm not really feeling the skyline, I also don't love the radio signal things. The first one of those is the best. I like how in one of the previous ones you made one of the numbers on the scale a different colour, could you make the 08 of the one I liked a different colour?

Admin
Admin

https://curatorial.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:53 pm

Oh by the way they're all really awesome. You've done tons of work and it really shows. We super appreciate it.

Admin
Admin

https://curatorial.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Logo Submissions - ROUND 2 Empty ocad input

Post  mwilliamson Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:44 pm

I showed the ocad group the round one logos and we're in the process of getting some feedback. I'll post the new logos and we see if we can go from there. For now here is the link to the ocad blog where the comments will be, though there is yet to be any. The general concensus is that it needs to be post colonial.

http://blog.ocad.ca/wordpress/colab/

mwilliamson

Back to top Go down

Post  Geoff Watson Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:34 pm

Awesome thanks Matt!

Yeah please shoot feedback this way as it comes in. You can also direct them to this forum if you'd like, either way works!

I agree with the post-colonial stuff, my more recent thoughts have been to really emphasize the data visualization and networking aspect.

Geoff Watson

Back to top Go down

Post  msilver Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:17 pm

hey Geoff,

so running in to you last night was weird....
ha.
BUT -
i just wanted to write down for everyone else what we discussed.
I LOVE the data visualization.
However I think it's too much.
I think the top layer - as Ella put it to me yesterday - the Sydney Opera House looking layer - would be good.
I'd love if you continued to play with that.
If you're not feeling that thought the imperial measures in yellow and orange is nice - though a little plain.
I like more graphic designs.
I also like vibrant colours - the colours that catch my eye more recently because they're kinda a trend are like bright green (emerald green) and fluorescent pink - I think you'll know the combination I'm talking about. so maybe experiment with that??
I'm not a great graphics person but maybe this'll help!
Let me know! Cheers!

msilver

Back to top Go down

Post  lcraig-ellis Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:03 pm

I agree that the data visualization images are gorgeous, but again... too complicated. We have to keep in mind what this logo will look like on a small button... or in black and white...etc.
I really like the idea of the nodes, and keeping the image in a more abstract concept. If anyone has seen the posters for the New Media Gallery...the idea that we came up with for that used a kind of beehive inspired pattern, which I think is interesting in our context as well.
Just something to think about...

lcraig-ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Geoff Watson Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:42 pm

Hey guys,

Ok so I'm going to work more to the abstract side of things to really get that Data Visualization portion of the show into view. Now I've noticed a lot of you are saying it's too complicated, but I somewhat agree with and I will try to minimize it in some way. However, I'm heavily basing it off of the Nuit Blanche logo, which is equally as complicated! We're not trying to produce a brand, it's a logo for one show right? Anyway, thanks for all the opinions, I'll get going on Round 3 !

Take care,
Geoff

Geoff Watson

Back to top Go down

Post  javrichs Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:13 pm

i was just wondering whether or not the image should be able to stand alone as a representation of Imperial Measures without the actual word imperial measure. (just a small side thought)

I think that your work is incredible Geoff and that there is some really good concepts visually.
The last few with the vector thing has this natural fluid beauty about it that could be very fun to work with. the fact that it does kind of look like the Sydney Opera House might be a little bit problematic and maybe moving some things around might be interesting (I am not sure you are clearly the one with the better eye for this). I also really liked the first few and the colours were also fresh and nice in that as well. Again I think it might be interesting to see whether or not an image could be created that would say Imperial Measures without the actual word in it. Keep up the amazing work!

javrichs

Back to top Go down

Post  msilver Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:07 am

any word on what the class thought geoff?

i saw you posted it on the site - anyone using the site actually?

msilver

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down